The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has stated that Indoor Air Quality is among the top five environmental health risks of our time. The harmful particles which include dust mites, pet dander, mold spores and pollen can provoke allergic reactions in many people. Some allergic reactions can be severe—such as asthma. Other reactions can be more subtle-runny nose, watery eyes, headaches, lethargy, even snoring.
Another concern to our health is Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) which are gases that are dispersed into the air from cleaning solutions, carpets, building materials, and chemicals found around the home. Formaldehyde is widely used and can cause itching of the eyes, ears and throat.
70% of Californians have some sort of respiratory problem!
Signs of Possible Indoor Air Quality Problems
- Unusual and noticeable odors, stale or stuffy air
- Noticeable lack of air movement
- Dirty or faulty air conditioning equipment
- Damaged flue pipes or chimneys
- Unvented combustion air sources for fossil fuel appliances
- Excessive humidity
- Tightly constructed or remodeled homes
- Visible presence of mold or mildew
- Health reaction after remodeling, weatherizing, using new furniture, use of household or hobby products, or moving into a new home
- Feeling noticeably healthier outside the home
Factors that Improve Indoor Air Quality
- For optimum air quality, indoor relative humidity should be kept between 40-60%
- High humidity breeds mold, mildew and dust mites
- There are many ways to improve a humidity problem in your home: High Speed Air Handler, Humidistat, & Dehumidifier
Filter & Purify the Air
- Standard 1″ filters trap less than 5% of the particles in the air
- High efficiency pleated filters trap up to 70% of particles
- Electronic Air Cleaners trap up to 90% of particles
- Ultra-Violet Lights (UV) located inside the AC equipment kill living micro-organisms like mold, bacteria and viruses
- Perfect Air is a whole-home air purification system which helps eliminate VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), mold, bacteria, viruses and dust. Contact Progressive Hvac for an in-home consultation.
Refresh the Air through Ventilation
- New homes are built tight-this is good for energy efficiency, but traps particles, gases and odors inside
- Filters trap only particulate, only ventilation can expel gases
- Duct Cleaning and source removal will clean the particulates already existing in your ventilation system
- Duct Repair will stop the fresh air from escaping and reduce the infiltration of dust, humidity and outdoor fumes and odors